2010 Sep 18 22:53

Re: [vox] Ubuntu updates

On 09/18/2010 10:32 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> Does it seem like to anyone else that the updates on Ubuntu
> keep coming? It seems like I have gotten four kernel updates
> in the last month.
>
> And, I noticed on the machine where i have 8.04 installed that
> they upgraded my browser to the latest Firefox. Is this something
> new? I thought the LTS meant they stayed at a fixed version for
> three years.
>
> brian

Sorta, they do supply bugfixes, security and stability updates. Firefox
will keep upgrading as long as it's not a major version. That is
unusual, looking at the package page it seems security related. Usually
major upgrades like that are only through backports but this might have
been ok'd as it didn't require a change in any other packages in order
to work.

As a contrast something like OpenOffice 2.x won't be upgraded because it
would require a lot of libraries to change and could break parts of the
system.

Also if you want to keep it to a minimum you can disable all but
security updates.

Enjoy,
Alex