2010 Sep 13 11:15

Re: [vox] Stuff you really need to run a GNU/Linux network

Re: [vox] Stuff you really need to run a GNU/Linux network

Well, I ran environments for the first half of my career.  I would say that there's only one tool that's really required, and that is backups.  You must be able to return your system back to functionality from a broken state in good order.  Everything else is window dressing, designed to make your life easier.

Also, as for Kerberos, I've worked at many places and dealt with many others and only one place has used Kerberos, and all the other got on fine w/o it.

As for the other tools, I have worked at or with places that both have had directory, ntp, config management and that didn't.  The only places that I would say truly failed is the ones without backups..   I also wonder why something like DNS is missing from that list?  I also found some kind of rev control ala svn/cvs/rcs to be invaluable.  Also, some kind of manage by install method is incredibly nice, if you can afford it.  Those tend to be OS/distro specific tho.

But again, I think the only true requirement is backups.

Mike

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Nick Schmalenberger <nick@schmalenberger.us> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 06:02:47AM -0700, Gandalf Parker wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, Brian Lavender wrote:
>
> > So, before you even get started with a GNU/Linux network it seems to really
> > be effective you need to have the following.
>
> Interesting.
> Ive run servers for over a decade. It doesnt use any of that.
> But its an interesting viewpoint.

I think this is for an office or computer lab type situation with
many workstations and users should be able to logon to any
workstation with their account? I think thats how directory
services like yellowpages, ldap and active directory are usually
used.
Nick

Michael Wenk
mjwenk@ucdavis.edu