2010 Sep 09 22:18

Re: [vox] T-Mobile "G2"

On 09/09/2010 04:29 PM, Bill Ward wrote:
> I assume then you have to pay hundreds of dollars for the phone, then?

Well depends.  I've seen used androids under $100.  But yes brand new
without a subsidy is going to be hundreds.

> The reason the primary carriers require a contract is because the phone
> cost is subsidized.

Exactly.  But there's substantial flow of used phones going around.
Google's given away at least 10k if not a few times that.  Some people
buy direct (from motorola, nokia, or google).  Often the companies will
charge $200 for one phone, then give away a 2nd free (verizon and
t-mobile).  So quite often the 2nd phone gets sold to subside the first
one.  There also seems to be a substantial number of people who buy a
phone on contract, want an upgrade before the end of a contract and sell
off the first phone.

The droids in particular seem to be one of the cheapest of the decent
phones.  The original is still quite reasonable, way nicer than a
g1/mytouch, 2.2 is available, and it's quite cheap.  I've seen them sell
for under $200 and often have a $250 buy it now price on ebay.

The first generation android phones I don't really recommend unless you
can't afford anything better and can be had for $75-$150 ish.