2010 Aug 17 05:43

Re: [vox] hosting and e commerce

On 08/16/2010 09:26 AM, jimbo wrote:
> Greetings Lugod members:
>
> I just received my business license and now want to have my own piece of the internet real estate.
>
> Does anybody have any preference as to a web hosting company?  I am going to start off very small, almost microscopic so I don't need a lot of options.
>
> What I will be doing is mobile auto repair as well as having a small online store.  I have set up a web site before but am at a loss as to what options are needed for an online store.
>
> Eventually I would like to have the capability of having some sort of database.  I love the security of Linux and would eventually like to have my own static ip address using my own server with Linux but as for now money is precious and sparse.  Some might argue that I can set this up easily.  This is true if I have knowledge and time in these areas.
>
> Think small.
>
> Jimbo

Look for a host that offers out of the box e-cart, or e-shopping
services and already has the infrastructure setup to take payment
information securely.

There are actually quite a few out there running open source cart
applications for a reasonable price.
Things like opencart, zencart, magento, oscommerce.... (there's at least
8 decent options last time I looked)

These almost always include a db backend like Mysql and can be adapted
to hold some non shopping content like info pages.

Enjoy,
Alex