January 6: Social gathering
2010 Aug 03 00:43

Re: [vox] [fwd] [NBLUG/talk] Q/A with RMS

Re: [vox] [fwd] [NBLUG/talk] Q/A with RMS

RE http://blog.reddit.com/2010/07/rms-ama.html

The interviewer seems to discount LISP, similar to the way some in
Lugod think that C is a very good language. To me, C is very dangerous
and most programs are difficult to analyze for correctness. There are
too many things a programmer can do wrong. C should be left for simple
small programs or used to implement a higher level language.

I wouldn't discount LISP. While at OSCON I had a realization of one of
the things that computer science is really about.  A program is really
just a list of instructions recongnized by a grammar to which lexical,
syntatical, static, and dynamic analysis are applied. Apply an input
state and out comes an output state. To which languages that implement
pattern matching and tail end recursion are very powerful and will start
to dominate the language frontier. I realized the power of SCALA, ML,
and Erlang. And, they're almost exacly like the syntax of a Context Free
Grammar. While I don't have a lot of experience with LISP, I think most
discount it. I am sure we will see more of it in the future, and not just
for coding emacs, although I understand that emacs is a good example of
a core implementation in C and langauage built around it in LISP.

LISP is probably why Stallman wishes (if he only had one wish from the
magic proprietary software genie) that Autocad was liberated into free
software. It uses LISP type instruction.

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:07:34PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Seen on NBLUG's list.  I honestly don't have time to go look right
> now, but thought I'd share it.  Enjoy!
>
> (For the uninitiated, RMS = Richard Stallman, founder of the GNU
> project and Free Software Foundation, creator of Emacs, GCC, GDB, etc.)
>
> -bill!

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

Professor C. A. R. Hoare