January 6: Social gathering
2010 Aug 02 05:59

[vox] =?utf-8?q?Android_roundtable=3F?=

I recently got my 2nd Android-based phone (went from Google Ion aka T-Mobile MyTouch to the new MyTouch Slide), and I know a lot of folks out here are either (1) also using a variety of Android devices (I'm guessing most, if not all, are phones) or (2) interested in what all the buzz is about.

From my own standpoint, I feel like I've only scraped the surface of what these things can do, and find that there's a lot of variety in terms of devices capabilities, OS versions, and carrier and/or device specific issues or pitfalls. (e.g., Google is rolling out a feature that will allow App purchases via carrier billing rather than Google Checkout + credit card... except T-Mob already does that... guess we made a lucky choice.)

I wonder if others out here would be interested in participating in a roundtable so we can share what we've learned. Particularly interesting to me is which apps are good and trustable. (I find the market mostly "rough", with a few gems, and a lot of creepy stuff. Why does a tic-tac-toe game need access to my phone & contact info? :-P )

Since we're booked thru early 2011, it wouldn't be for a while. Another alternative (esp since these devices are hard (I think!?) to throw onto a projector) would be to do a less formal one at one of our social gatherings.

-bill!
(Sent from MyTouch Slide... would NOT have been possible w/o this keyboard ;) )