2010 Jun 11 16:15

[vox] [fwd] BALUG Tu 2010-06-15 The vi editor, introduction throughadvanced?usage, presented by Michael Paoli; & other BALUG news

Bay Area LUG ( http://www.balug.org/ ) meets in San Francisco next week.

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Michael Paoli -----

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 06:36:11 -0700
From: "Michael Paoli"
Subject: [BALUG-Announce] BALUG Tu 2010-06-15 The vi editor, introduction through advanced usage, presented by Michael Paoli; & other BALUG news

BALUG Tu 2010-06-15 The vi editor, introduction through advanced
usage, presented by Michael Paoli; & other BALUG news

In this issue (details further below):
2010-06-15: The vi editor, introduction through advanced usage,
  presented by Michael Paoli; & other BALUG news
Installfests (2010-06-13 in Berkeley; etc.)
2010-05-18 Sam Bowne IPv6/sslstrip/Slowloris materials/"slides"
"Working in the Business" (Linux, IT, etc.), panel discussion

------------------------------

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG)
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2010-06-15
The vi editor, introduction through advanced usage, presented by Michael
Paoli

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

For our 2010-06-15 BALUG meeting, we're excited to present:

The vi editor, introduction through advanced usage, presented by Michael
Paoli

Don't know what vi is?  New to vi, or been using vi for years?  Whatever
familiarity and experience you do or don't have with vi, this
presentation promises to include something useful for everyone.  It will
cover from basic introduction to vi, through many powerful and useful
tips and tricks (e.g. handy and powerful editing operations, and
leveraging vi to do much more than "just" edit files).  Some of the
differences and advantages and disadvantages of various vi
implementations (historic vi, nvi, vim, etc.) will also be covered.

While vi may be simply and modestly described as "a screen oriented
text editor", vi is in fact the standard (and de facto standard) text
editor for at least UNIX, Linux, and BSD environments, and it's also
been ported to many other environments.  But don't underestimate vi just
because it's "standard".  vi is a quite powerful and capable editor, and
greatly outperforms the text editing capabilities of many other editors.

Michael Paoli has been using vi for well over a quarter century, from
humble beginnings with introductory documentation and quick reference
card in hand, to oft repeated, "Wow, how did you do that?" remarks from
co-workers watching some of his vi wranglings.  He's also been doing
Linux systems administration for over a dozen years, and used UNIX all
the way back to his humble vi beginnings.

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP to:

                  rsvp@balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and they help ensure that we'll be
able to eat upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

                  6:30pm
                  Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 2010-06-15

                  Four Seas Restaurant http://www.fourseasr.com/
                  731 Grant Ave.
                  San Francisco, CA 94108
                  Easy PARKING:
                    Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny:
                    http://www.sfpsg.com/

Cost: The meetings are always free, but for dinner, for your gift of $13
        cash, we give you a gift of dinner ticket to join us for a yummy
        family-style Chinese dinner - tax and tip included (your gift also
        helps in our patronizing the restaurant venue and helping to
        defray BALUG costs such treating our speakers to dinner).

------------------------------

Installfests (2010-06-13 in Berkeley; etc.)

Looks like the Berkeley Linux Users Group[1] is doing an installfest in
Berkeley on 2010-06-13, not at their regular (Bobby G's) location (they
may not be meeting there that day), but at ZaReason[2]'s location in
Berkeley.  Details should be findable somewhere on their website[1]
and/or list[3].

Noisebridge[4] and the Ubuntu California Team[5] teamed up for a
2010-05-30 installfest[6][7] at the Noisebridge[4] location in San
Francisco.

The above are some examples of additional installfest activity in the
(near) Bay Area region that have at least occasionally been happening,
in addition to the quite regular installfests at Cabal[8].

1. http://www.berkeleylug.com/
2. http://zareason.com/
3. http://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug?hl=en
4. https://www.noisebridge.net/
5. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam
6. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Lucid_Lynx_Installfest
7. 2010-05-30 http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2010q2/007815.html
8. http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/

------------------------------

2010-05-18 Sam Bowne IPv6/sslstrip/Slowloris materials/"slides"

At the 2010-05-18 BALUG meeting, Sam Bowne not only covered (and
demonstrated) sslstrip and Slowloris, but also covered IPv6.  Materials
for/from the meeting, including now also IPv6, may be found on/via:
http://samsclass.info/ipv6/evangelism.html
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-announce-balug.org/2010-May/000152.html

------------------------------

"Working in the Business" (Linux, IT, etc.), panel discussion

BALUG is working to assemble panel (and moderator) for
"Working in the Business" (Linux, IT, etc.), panel discussion

Should make for very interesting, lively, informative and useful
discussion/presentation/"talk/debate".

For more information, and also
if you know someone you'd like as panelist or moderator (or are yourself
interested), and/or if you have specific topics/questions you'd like to
see covered by the panel,
PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT:
http://www.balug.org/#panel
At the present time we're ACTIVELY GATHERING INFORMATION ON POTENTIAL
PANELISTS, MODERATORS, available dates, etc., to plan and coordinate
this event.  Please also do feel free to pass this information along to
any contacts you feel appropriate that may be interested.

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer