2010 Apr 16 13:02

Re: [vox] Linux Equivalent to IPod?

Bob Scofield wrote:
> I seem to recall a couple of years ago that there was a discussion here about
> Linux devices that were similar to IPods.  I didn't pay attention to it
> because I don't like walking around with ear phones.
>
> But I've recently jointed the Woodland YMCA gym, and when I'm on the exercise
> machines I don't like the music played over the load speaker.  I'm thinking
> about getting an IPod-like device and maybe listening to podcasts or
> something.
>
> I don't like the fact that (the last time I checked) you couldn't download
> from ITunes on Linux because they wouldn't give you Linux software.  I know a
> lot of Linux users like Apple, but I think Apple sometimes cooperates with
> Microsoft to suppress Linux.  So is that a non-Apple Linux device that's like
> an IPod?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

Archos and Cowon both make devices some of which run on linux (one even
runs Android), and most of which mount as usb. Those are mostly fancy
devices though that may do a lot more than you're expecting. There are
plenty of inexpensive music players that just mount as usb devices for
drag and drop. I would avoid Creative, Zune and any generic brand that
doesn't make it clear what you can do with it.

Also consider buying an older generation use IPod super cheap that you
can install linux on.
http://www.ipodlinux.org/

As for the solution to ITunes, buy from a more open vendor like Amazon
(there are others, can't recall off the top of my head).

Enjoy,
Alex