2010 Mar 01 19:25

[vox] [fwd] ACCU: Wednesday, March 10 - Roshan Naik,"Logic Paradigm for C++"

----- Forwarded message from Ali Cehreli -----

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:56:48 -0800
From: Ali Cehreli
Subject: ACCU: Wednesday, March 10 - Roshan Naik, "Logic Paradigm for C++"

When:      Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Topic:     Logic Paradigm for C++
Speaker:   Roshan Naik
Time:      6:30pm doors open
          7:00pm meeting begins
Where:     Symantec
          VCAFE building
          350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
          Mountain View, CA 94043
Map:       <http://tinyurl.com/334rv5>
Directions: VCAFE is accessible from the semicircular courtyard
between Symantec buildings <http://tinyurl.com/2dccgc>
Cost:      Free
More Info: <http://www.accu-usa.org>

The Logic paradigm (LP) is a powerful, Turing-complete programming
paradigm that has seen little representation in mainstream languages
as compared to the Object-Oriented, Imperative and Functional
paradigms. LP is an important approach in Computer Science towards
what is sometimes referred to as the Holy-Grail of programming "The
user states the problem, the computer solves it". Origins of the
theory underlying Logic dates back to about 300 B.C. when Aristotle
founded Formal Logic to bring rigor to logical inferencing. The theory
matured into Modern Logic more recently (early 1900s) when Russell &
Whitehead showed that all of Mathematics could be reduced to Logic.

This talk will provide an introduction to the basics of LP in C++,
followed by plenty of examples to develop a feel for and start
thinking in terms of this paradigm. We will also observe how it
naturally blends with the other paradigms. And finally, we shall
broaden the scope to see how powerful multiparadigm solutions emerge
when programmers can freely mix and match paradigms. It will be
evident from this talk, how a clean and deep integration of LP makes
C++ a fountainhead for the many design patterns yet to be discovered.

All code will use standard C++ and Castor, an open source library
which brings the Logic paradigm to C++."

Roshan Naik specializes in multiparadigm programming techniques.
Roshan is author of Castor (www.mpprogramming.com/cpp), an open source
library which brings the Logic Paradigm to C++. You can reach him at
roshan AT mpprogramming.com

Meetings are open to the public and are free of charge.

---- Upcoming ACCU talks -----

Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Nathan Naze
"Opening up the Closure Library"

---------

The ACCU meets monthly. Meetings are always open to the public and are
free of charge. To suggest topics and speakers please email Walter
Vannini via walterv@gbbservices.com

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer