2010 Feb 28 23:29

Re: [vox] things that really suck about C!

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:49:28PM -0800, Carl Boettiger wrote:
>    On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Brian Lavender <[1]brian@brie.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      I think if anything, C has been a certain detriment to the field of
>      computer science!
>      One calls a function and the arguments are passed by value. Call a
>      function with an array as an argument, and feel free to modify its
>      contents!
>
>    so declaring an array as const prevents this, func(const double * a).

My point was so that the code _did_ modify a.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"About 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people don't
pay for the software. Someday they will, though. As long as they are going
to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and
then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

-- Bill Gates (Microsoft) 1998