2010 Feb 11 12:50

Re: [vox] Question about OSS downloads for a fee

Re: [vox] Question about OSS downloads for a fee

Bill,

I am curious. Have you registered a trademark for TuxPaint?

I see that with DBAN, Darik Horn registered a Trademark.
http://www.dban.org/about

brian

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:51:02PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Someone just alerted me to Tux Paint's availability on
> an ecommerce site ("tradera.com", run by ebay).  I've seem
> it on ebay proper in the past, as well.
>
> Apparently for 65kr (approx. USD$8.45) it looks like you
> can download Tux Paint.  Kind of a rip-off, considering it's
> available free-of-charge from the Tux Paint website,
> SourceForge.net, and countless other places.
>
> I wouldn't be concerned if the seller was selling physical
> copies (e.g., CDROMs), since that requires some physical investment
> on their part.  In this case, though, they're just taking advantage
> of uninformed consumers.
>
> Should I put some kind of official notice about this up on the
> Tux Paint website?  (Along the lines of: "If you found Tux Paint
> for sale as a digital download on a site like ebay, please be
> aware that you can download it at no cost directly from us.",
> as well as pointing out that it's well within the rights
> (per GPL) for these people to sell the software, so don't bother
> contacting us unless it's apparent they're breaking the rules of
> the license -- e.g., providing a modified version w/o source, etc.)
>

> I see this same person is selling digital downloads of The GIMP.
> And in the past, I saw one person who was selling Tux Paint downloads
> on ebay was doing the same with OpenOffice.org.  (They were also
> explicitly pointing out the fact that these were OSS applications --
> so I really wonder who their target audience was... SUPER clueless
> people!? :) )
>
> What do people out here think?
>
> --
> -bill!
> Sent from my computer

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

the Ethereal version 0.99 source code contains more than 8,000 instances
of incrementing or decrementing by a hard-coded numeric constant, the
vast majority of which are adjusting a pointer or a length while stepping
through a buffer. Any instance of an incorrect constant can of course
result in an incorrect parsing of a pro- tocol, but is not detectable
at compile-time since using the wrong numeric constant still type-checks.

Pang et al. on binpac
http://www.icir.org/vern/papers/binpac.IMC06.pdf