2010 Feb 10 23:25

Re: [vox] Question about OSS downloads for a fee

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 03:37:07PM -0800, Tony Cratz wrote:
> Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > Someone just alerted me to Tux Paint's availability on
> > an ecommerce site ("tradera.com", run by ebay).  I've seem
> > it on ebay proper in the past, as well.
>
> As the copyright holder, issue a DCMA take down notice.

Well, keep in mind that Tux Paint is GPL, so it's within their
rights (based on the permissions explicitly granted to them
by the license).  It's the same rights that allows Tux Paint
to be bundled in Ubuntu & Debian, for example... hitting
any one of these with a DCMA take-down notice would be
contradictory to the license they've already been granted. :)

My main question is whether or not I should bother putting
some kind of official note about such situations on the
Tux Paint website, and if any of the big OSS projects
out there (like Gimp or OpenOffice) do the same -- or would
I be a trend-setter? ;)

Thanks, though,

Sent from my computer