2010 Jan 30 00:20

[vox] Further LUGOD sponsorship of Atari Party 2010?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 04:18:14PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> BTW - I'm moving ahead on plans for this event.  Still need
> to find a venue (maybe I can do it at Vet Mem Ctr, though
> that'll be a bit expensive), and pick a date.

Ok, so renting two rooms for one day at the Vet Mem Ctr
(as an individual, Davis resident) will cost a boatload
(about $1200).  Doing it as a community group costs
literally half.

One long-time LUGOD member I was talking to, when he
heard me complaining about the price, suggested I ask
if LUGOD would be willing to make it a LUGOD event.
(He pointed out the fact that the club would get some
free advertising, and it could be a 'thanks' for all
my years of hard work.  I won't argue. ;^) )

I realize that an "Atari Party" is pretty off-topic for
a "Linux User Group", but... uh... there are a number
of great open source Atari emulators (Atari800 & Stella),
and ways to connect Atari computers to Linux boxes!

In other news, I've already got some corporate sponsors
helping out in the give-aways department.
(Some books one retro-video-games and modern game programming
from O'Reilly Media & three $100 gift certificates from
ThinkGeek!)

> If anyone out here is interested in either (1) attending
> and/or (2) helping out, email me off-list and I'll make sure
> to keep you up-to-date on happenings.

BTW, there's now a moderated 'atariparty-news' mailing list for
announcements (kind of like LUGOD's 'vox-announce').
See: http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2010/attend/

Sent from my computer