2010 Jan 13 22:02

[vox] Sprint cell modem (question & for sale/free)

[vox] Sprint cell modem (question & for sale/free)

I've got a USB cellular modem from Sprint, and I don't really need it any more.
I'm planning on cancelling the account (the contract is up, so there won't be
an Early Termination Fee).  However, I'm not sure what to do with the device
_itself_, now that I'm done with it.

I got it from my previous job, when I was quitting.  They had set it up for
me to use when I was commuting on Amtrak, and didn't want to cancel it since
they would've had to pay a hefty ETF, so they just gave the device and the
account to me. (Yay! Free device!)

I wonder, should I try to do the same?  Or is it simple enough for
someone to take one of these devices and activate it on a different
account?

That also leads me to this question:  anyone want it?  It costs about $62/mo
for the Sprint account (unlimited data plan), and it works with Linux.
(Though if you go to set it up with a new account, and hence a different
phone number, you'll need a Windows box handy to update the device.)

Sent from my computer