From: vox-bounces@lists.lugod.org [vox-bounces@lists.lugod.org] On Behalf Of Bill Kendrick [nbs@sonic.net]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 11:01 AM
To: LUGOD
Subject: [vox] Best Buy / Geek Squad told a customer installing Linux voids     warranty

There was some recent discussion on vox-tech about computer repairs,
and then I saw this via a friend on Facebook:

"Geek Squad Wouldn't Honor My Netbook's Protection Plan"
http://consumerist.com/2009/12/geek-squad-wouldnt-honor-my-netbooks-protection-plan.html
By Phil Villarreal on December 16, 2009 10:15 AM   16891 views

 An anonymous reader said a Best Buy manager refused to replace his
 broken laptop and threw him out of the store twice when he tried to
 argue. The reader had even gone so far as to purchase an $80 extended
 warranty.

 "The manager of the Geek Squad informed me that installing Ubuntu
 Linux on my machine voided my warranty, and that I could only have it
 serviced if the original Windows installation was restored.
 Furthermore, he insisted that the touchpad and power adapter
 had been broken because I installed Linux. Another employee ridiculed
 me for insisting that Linux couldn't cause a hardware issue, saying
 'Sure, I don't know anything, I just work for Geek Squad!'  The entire
 department was hostile, acting as if I was now a problem rather than a
 customer."
 [the reader then re-installs Windows & returns to the store]
 "The Geek Squad manager [...] said that Linux had permanently voided
 my warranty, and again insisted Linux had caused the computer's
 hardware problems."

Yikes.

Sent from my computer