January 6: Social gathering
2009 Nov 25 10:05

[vox] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: is the Linux desktop OS dead?

Gandalf posted from a non-subscribed address
(Gandalf, can you make sure you post from the same
address that you're subscribed to 'vox' with, or change
your subscription?  Otherwise your posts get discarded by
the mailman software, and I have to manually fwd them)

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 04:50:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Gandalf  Parker <gandalf@community.net>
Subject: Re: [vox] Fwd: Re: is the Linux desktop OS dead?

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Michael Cheselka wrote:

>Linux could do better if we fixed the many packing systems.  On a
>Windows system, I can just download and open a .exe or .msi to add a
>package, and go to the control panel to remove a package.  Most
>packages for Windows can be installed on XP, Vista, and Windows 7
>without worry.  On Linux, too often, it matters what your Linux system
>is like.  We need a better scheme.

Actually I would consider that to be one of the things that has Linux in a
better position than Windows. Of course everything has its pros and cons.
You seem to understand the advantages of the Windows system but that is
also one of the things that has led to some of the major complaints about
Windows.

PRO anyone can write and distribute for Windows
CON anyone can write and distribute for Windows

I do not think Linux needs to go down that road. And definetly not an
advantage if it does. One of the things I tell people about Linux is that
most of the distros have a pop-up catalog. Any new thing I want to do I
just search the catalog and tag it. It downloads, installs, and configs
usually without any questions being asked. Of course you CAN pick up
programs off-catalog and those take abit more effort to install but I
think that is also a pro/con thing. Its good that off-catalog items take
more effort.

HOPEFULLY all of us here are at LEAST linuxy enough to check the catalogs
for our distro before looking elsewhere online for softwares. If you
always do the windowsy thing of googling and downloading anything you find
then of course you will be unhappy. You are missing one of the good things
about linux. Sometimes I forget and google first. But I usually emember
before actually installing and remember to check the catalog then. Im
rarely disappointed. And the auto-update is well worth choosing catalog
items whenever possible.
(disclaimer: Im probably using the wrong term or catalog)

Gandalf  Parker

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer