l i n u x - u s e r s - g r o u p - o f - d a v i s
L U G O D
 
Next Meeting:
September 2: Social gathering
Next Installfest:
TBD
Latest News:
Aug. 18: Discounts to "Velocity" in NY; come to tonight's "Photography" talk
Page last updated:
2009 Nov 25 10:04

The following is an archive of a post made to our 'vox mailing list' by one of its subscribers.

Report this post as spam:

(Enter your email address)
Re: [vox] Fwd: Re: is the Linux desktop OS dead?
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [vox] Fwd: Re: is the Linux desktop OS dead?



Hello Everyone,

Is Linux totally dead on the PS3?  Is a group trying to bring it to
the latest Slim PS3
or is that imposible?

I heard it never really had much impact on super computing but it was
cool that you could
build a cluster in your home with 3 PS3s and learn something about clusters.

Updating on Linux is easier for the user, way easier than Windows in
fact, just "yum update".
On Windows I have to check each add-on program manually.  The list is
really long.

The real problem is for companies like Skype, VMware, Google, etc.
They usually just offer
.deb, .rpm, and .tar.gz.  Multiply by 2 for 32 and 64.  I'm surprised
that many companies are
now offering Linux support and even sooner now than Windows.  64 bit
Adobe flash came out
sooner for Linux than Windows and so too Skype and Google Chrome.

Truly, it's asking a lot, though, to have so many packages.

Regards,
Michael Cheselka
650-488-4820




On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 00:03, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 08:50:24PM -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:
>> Agreed.  I was surprised to find linux more common than I had guessed.  Home
>> routers, many NAS, tivo (at least the old ones)
>
> Eh?  Do you say "at least the old ones" because they switched at some point?
> Or is it that you only know the full details of the old ones.
> (I was under the assumption they've continued using Linux all along...
> I can't imagine why they'd switch.)
>
> I personally mothballed (at least temporarily) our TiVo.  No cable made the
> DVR function useless.  Due to its age, the HDD was kind of whiney.
> And then there was the fan.  It just sat there making heat and noise.
> It had some additional online stuff it could do (e.g., music), but it
> was fairly slow and clunky.  (As they added more features, it seemed to
> get more and more sluggish.)
>
> These days, it's all about the Roku NetFlix player.  Tiny, HDD-less,
> fanless, built-in Wifi, totally silent, and it has a small and
> super-simple remote control (my 2yo can navigate and find his shows).
>
>
> <snip>
>> In my opinion this was the peak of the microsoft mindshare where
>> they almost managed to start pushing their own standards for
>> everything.
>
> Heh, then Firefox and OS X came around and people came to their
> senses? :)
>
>
> <snip>
>> Amusingly the most compelling reason folks seem to have for keeping a windows
>> box around the house is gaming.
>
> And thank goodness for real gaming consoles. ;)  Weren't PC games going out
> of style a while back?  I guess then WoW came out.
>
>
> <snip>
>> That seems to be getting better and pretty good.  Seems like redhat's
>> dependency hell, corrupted RPM databases, circular dependencies, and various
>> other "oh crap I have to reinstall" moments are getting rather rare.
>
> Only "rare"? :)  (I'm not _trying_ to be snobbish.)
>
> --
> -bill!
> Sent from my computer
> _______________________________________________
> vox mailing list
> vox@lists.lugod.org
> http://lists.lugod.org/mailman/listinfo/vox
>
_______________________________________________
vox mailing list
vox@lists.lugod.org
http://lists.lugod.org/mailman/listinfo/vox



LinkedIn
LUGOD Group on LinkedIn
Sign up for LUGOD event announcements
Your email address:
facebook
LUGOD Group on Facebook
'Like' LUGOD on Facebook:

Hosting provided by:
Sunset Systems
Sunset Systems offers preconfigured Linux systems, remote system administration and custom software development.

LUGOD: Linux Users' Group of Davis
PO Box 2082, Davis, CA 95617
Contact Us

LUGOD is a 501(c)7 non-profit organization
based in Davis, California
and serving the Sacramento area.
"Linux" is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.

Sponsored in part by:
Appahost Applications
For a significant contribution towards our projector, and a generous donation to allow us to continue meeting at the Davis Library.