2009 Nov 25 10:04

Re: [vox] Fwd: Re: is the Linux desktop OS dead? (fwd)

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Michael Cheselka wrote:

> Linux could do better if we fixed the many packing systems.  On a
> Windows system, I can just download and open a .exe or .msi to add a
> package, and go to the control panel to remove a package.  Most
> packages for Windows can be installed on XP, Vista, and Windows 7
> without worry.  On Linux, too often, it matters what your Linux system
> is like.  We need a better scheme.

Actually I would consider that to be one of the things that has Linux in a
better position than Windows. Of course everything has its pros and cons. You
seem to understand the advantages of the Windows system but that is also one of
the things that has led to some of the major complaints about Windows.

PRO anyone can write and distribute for Windows
CON anyone can write and distribute for Windows

I do not think Linux needs to go down that road. And definetly not an advantage
if it does. One of the things I tell people about Linux is that most of the
distros have a pop-up catalog. Any new thing I want to do I just search the
catalog and tag it. It downloads, installs, and configs usually without any
questions being asked. Of course you CAN pick up programs off-catalog and those
take abit more effort to install but I think that is also a pro/con thing. Its
good that off-catalog items take more effort.

HOPEFULLY all of us here are at LEAST linuxy enough to check the catalogs for
our distro before looking elsewhere online for softwares. If you always do the
windowsy thing of googling and downloading anything you find then of course you
will be unhappy. You are missing one of the good things about linux. Sometimes
I forget and google first. But I usually emember before actually installing and
remember to check the catalog then. Im rarely disappointed. And the auto-update
is well worth choosing catalog items whenever possible.
(disclaimer: Im probably using the wrong term or catalog)

Gandalf  Parker