2009 Nov 24 17:17

[vox] Fwd: Re: is the Linux desktop OS dead?

Gandalf posted from a non-subscribed address:

Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 05:24:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Gandalf  Parker <gandalf@community.net>
Subject: Re: [vox] is the Linux desktop OS dead?

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Cylar Z wrote:

>Wondered if everyone had seen this, and had any reaction to it?

Does anything ever really die?
I know people still playing Atari games.
I still use telnet as my main mode of connection.
I still use BASIC as my quicky programming language for things like CGI's
and system scripts.

And Im writing this using an email address from an ISP that died a decade
ago.

Especially if something is open source. There isnt any control that can
say "this is dead". Thanks to the Internet fetish, fanaticism, or strange
addiction need suffer alone. There will always be 100 people willing to
keep it going and thousands of guru's willing to use it.

ON THE OTHER HAND...
the article seems only interested in Linux as a Windows replacement.
Personally Ive never gotten hooked on its GUI environments. I feel that
the power of Linux is in providing for home servers. The desktop thing is
more of a sideline which is not a live-or-die necessity so it can go as
slow and careful as it wishes. I would not predict Linux death based on
its Desktop anymore than I would predict Windows death based on its
server.

Gandalf  Parker

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer