January 6: Social gathering
2009 Nov 23 22:50

Re: [vox] is the Linux desktop OS dead?

Yes, I've heard it for about a dozen years now, and while it has not
materialized yet, it has not gone the way of the dodo either.

Tech pundits on FOSS are mostly about as useful as a second appendix in
human biology.  They are either zealots who believe that FOSS is
perpetually on the verge of creating world peace and setting a new
hygiene standard that will guarantee RMS a date on Fridays, or
detractors who think its a plot by a clone of Leon Trotsky secretly
bunkered somewhere near the SeaTac airport.

The truth lay somewhere in the middle of all that.  Most of the
arguments he provided were generally invalid except for the software
side of the "divide and fail" strategy.  FOSS has always had a
semi-Balkanized roll your own tendency, which from a business to
consumer (casual consumer, as in someone who has had years or decades of
using .exe or .dmg/.app files and has habitualized to a sort of
consistency that is so routine its almost instinctual) standpoint is
problematic.  The LSB still has work to be done in that regard :)

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb

ja