2009 Oct 16 09:09

Re: [vox] Next incarnation of XO at OLPC-SF this Saturday...

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> wrote:
> That board certainly looks impressive. It's amazing to see how far we
> have come since the days of my old 486. Is that new board using a MIPS
> processor too? Think, one day, the rest of the world will run MIPS and
> here in the good old USA, we'll be the only ones running x86. Maybe I am
> thinking about the metric system too much.

Its a VIA (x86) processor. The board is a bit more crowded than the
XO1 board, but this revision has proc, mem, storage, at approx *4 the
first one at approx the same cost. Storage is actually microSD, so its
upgradeable. http://wiki.laptop.org/images/f/f0/XO_1.5_B1_Annotated_Motherboard.png

Right now the concern is to keep the power consumption low, near the
XO1 specs. If any of you are qualified to do that kind of work, please
join the OLPC lists (devel list at http://lists.laptop.org) or apply
for a real job :-)
http://laptop.org/en/utility/people/opportunities.shtml

Sameer