2009 Sep 13 14:42

Re: [vox] Dell Mini 9 back for just a bit at 240 bucks

Scott Miller wrote:
> Another netbook user here. I've got an Asus 1000H which is great! I
> have also just purchased an Atom 330 based MSI Wind nettop box which
> is surprisingly powerful. It's an addiction.... :)

Heh, I've been keeping an eye on the atom 330 based systems.  As things get
more thread (handbrake, google chrome, python, future versions of firefox,
etc) friendly I'm more worried about system throughput, i.e. time to transcode
1 hour of 720p from my camera than I am about single thread performance.

Of particular interest is the Nvidia ION based netbooks/nettops, they seem to
compliment each other well.  Where the atom is weakest, things like video
playback the Nvidia ION handles easily.

That way things like like gaming, compviz, google earth, full screen HD
playback aren't annoying slow, yet you still get a cheap machine that uses
minimal power.