2009 Aug 06 12:58

[vox] Can't help but think of open source when I read this

[vox] Can't help but think of open source when I read this

Attribution malfunction
Aug 6, 2009, Brian O'Leary, Magellan Media blog
http://www.magellanmediapartners.com/index.php/mmcp/article/attribution_malfunction/

  In case you've been away from the keyboard for a month, Chris Anderson,
  editor-in-chief of Wired, author of The Long Tail, was roundly criticized
  in the blogosphere when word got out that portions of his latest book,
  /Free/, had been lifted from a variety of sources, including Wikipedia.

  [...]

  When the story about cribbing Wikipedia broke, Anderson could have
  described reality:

  "I am your agent.  My idea is not new, but I've done a good job of
  pulling together the examples that I think help tell the story.  The
  thinking is not that deep, but it's not supposed to be.  I didn't do
  anything approaching original research.  I never intended to."

  "What I did do is save you time.  This is what the new economy will
  value: time, convenience, trusted direction.  In its niche, that's
  what /Free/ provides.  Don't judge it on how original it is; judge it on
  how effectively it delivers value for you.  That's what you are paying
  me to do for you."

  [...]

I need to start working on a business plan around open source. ;)

Sent from my computer