2009 Jul 14 13:44

[vox] Fwd: Re: Books for kids about programming

Gandalf posted from a non-sub'd address.

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gandalf  Parker <gandalf@community.net>
Subject: Re: [vox] Books for kids about programming

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>A few years ago (2004?) I decided it would be a neat idea to write
>a book about programming for kids.  Maybe do it collaboratively, and
>release it under a nice open license.  I asked around (including this list)
>to figure out what modern language would be suitable for kids, and almost
>everyone said Python.
>
> http://books.slashdot.org/story/09/07/13/1349203/Hello-World

Cool links. Its also been a thought of mine (mostly because it matches my
level of programming skill) :)

Altho a pet peeve is the authors admission that they started in Basic
(like most who werent blown off early and succeeded as programmers) then
decided on a "modern" language to base the book on. Chickens. I find that
usually means they have no experience with modern basics. Personally, I
still use a text basic to do my system scripts and webpage CGI's. I have a
ton of books on all of the recommended languages but havent run into
anything forcing me to have to learn one.

Gandalf  Parker
--
Why is it that anytime someone talks about basic programming they dont
talk about BASIC programming?

----- End forwarded message -----