2009 Jul 13 13:08

Re: [vox] Fwd: Re: Updated "Bay Area LUGs" flyer created for OSCON

I think you can adjust the word wraps by using different font sizes, or by overlaps like this:

Peninsula     www.penlug.org
Stanford
          sulug.stanford.edu
Silicon Valley www.svlug.org

OpenOffice Draw has pretty much all the same interface and features as Impress but it's more generally useful for making vector graphics.  But anyway it doesn't matter, so long as it's done with open source tools :)

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

Jack's not subscribed to 'vox', so fwd'ing to the list on his behalf.

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:41:45 -0700
From: Jack Deslippe <jdeslip@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [vox] Updated "Bay Area LUGs" flyer created for OSCON

The word wraps are a little odd I agree - particularly because some
groups have URLs that are just too long to be manageable.  There isn't
much to do about this unless we don't include those groups ... :/

I used impress because it is simple to use to create sheet sized PDFS,
and it's what I know.  I have no opinions on which tools to use as long
as they do the job.  Bill's original version was done in Scribus I think.

-Jack

Bill Ward wrote:
> Instead of SVLUG and SULUG being lumped under Peninsula, I would label
> each one - Stanford and Silicon Valley resp.
>
> Also I find some of the word wraps to be odd.
>
> And why use Impress instead of Draw?
>
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 3:47 PM, nbs <nbs@sonic.net
> <mailto:nbs@sonic.net>> wrote:
>

>     As a follow-up to yesterday's email [1], I wanted to let people know
>     that an updated version of the flyer has been created.
>
>     Jack DeSlippe of Berkeley LUG created a simpler map, with penguin
>     icons
>     marking each city (rather than the plain looking "x"es I had).  He
>     also
>     redid the LUG list to be less wordy, and made the intro text stand
>     out more.
>
>     An updated version, in both color and B&W PDFs, as well as the source
>     document (this time in OpenOffice.org Impress ".odp") are now
>     available
>     here:
>
>      http://lugod.org/projects/oscon/bay_area_lugs/
>
>     Thanks to Jack, as well as Grant Bowman from the Ubuntu California
>     LoCo Team
>     for the feedback on how to spice the flyer up.
>

>     Marsee Henon from O'Reilly and Larry Cafiero from Fedora (and
>     FeltonLUG)
>     have offered to put copies of the final flyer out at their tables
>     at OSCON,
>     along with the Ubuntu Calif. LoCo.
>
>     I'm still interested in hearing whether we can get the same flyer
>     exposed
>     at OpenSourceWorld (prev'ly LinuxWorld Expo) next month, as well.
>     Has anyone got any leads?  (i.e., businesses or orgs that will be
>     there)
>

>     [1] My email from yesterday can be found here, among other places:
>

>     PS - Repeat note from last time:
>         I'm sending this to either the discussion mailing list, or
>     whatever
>         contact email address I could find via your LUG's website.
>         Feel free to pass this along as you see fit!
>
>     --
>     Bill Kendrick
>     root@lugod.org <mailto:root@lugod.org>
>     President