2009 Mar 16 11:29

[vox] [fwd] Creative Commons launches CC0,a new legal tool designed to help expand the public domain

Seen on a book publishing list I'm on:

----- Forwarded message -----
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:00:53 -0700

   Creative Commons has launched CC0:

   "CC0 (read 'CC Zero') is a universal waiver that may be used by anyone
   wishing to permanently surrender the copyright and database rights they
   may have in a work, thereby placing it as nearly as possible into the
   public domain. CC0 is not a license, but a legal tool that improves on the
   'dedication' function of our existing, U.S.-centric public domain
   dedication and certification. CC0 is universal in form and may be used
   throughout the world for any kind of content without adaptation to account
   for laws in different jurisdictions."

----- End forwarded message -----