2009 Mar 03 14:00

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Meeting Wednesday - Kyle Rankin - A Guide to theModern Ubuntu Server [Mar 4th, Mountain View]

----- Forwarded message from Andrew Fife -----

Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:17:20 -0800
From: Andrew Fife
Subject: [svlug-announce] Meeting Wednesday - Kyle Rankin - A Guide to the
 Modern Ubuntu Server
To: "svlug-announce@lists.svlug.org" <svlug-announce@lists.svlug.org>

Hi Folks:

Kyle Rankin will be giving a talk titled: "Where'd my Files Go? - A
guide to the Modern Ubuntu Distribution" at the SVLUG general
meeting this Wednesday, March 4th.  For location and directions:

http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

TALK DESCRIPTION
--------------------
While you might not be able to tell at a cursory glance, a lot has
changed behind the scenes on a modern Ubuntu system from what you
might be used to if you have used Linux for years. For example,
did you know Ubuntu is phasing out System V init? That you can't
loopback-mount the initrd? In this talk Kyle will discuss the
current changes Ubuntu is making to what we might consider the
traditional Linux system. There's a little something for everyone
on the talk: For Linux newbies who are curious about what's under
the hood Kyle will cover the traditional and modern boot process
including how init works and follow up with a guide to where
important files are in Ubuntu. For the experienced Linux user Kyle
will show you how (and why) things have changed and where you can
look now when you want to, for instance, change the default
runlevel on an Ubuntu system.

SPEAKER'S BIO
--------------------
Kyle Rankin is a systems architect for Quinstreet, Inc., the
current president of the North Bay Linux Users Group, the
author of Knoppix Hacks, Knoppix Pocket Reference,
Linux Multimedia Hacks, and Ubuntu Hacks and has
contributed to a number of other O'Reilly books. Kyle is also
a columnist for Linux Journal and has had articles featured in
PC Magazine, TechTarget and other publications.

-Andrew

--
Andrew Fife
Untangle