2009 Jan 29 15:56

Re: [vox] Does Anybody Like KDE 4.x?

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 02:51:04PM -0800, Aaron Brayton wrote:
> Well, I want to see what all the fuss is about, but I don't want to mess
> things up like I did a few weeks ago.  I've read that I can install KDE
> alongside GNOME by issuing  'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop'  Then
> I can choose between the two using the sessions menu at the login screen.
>
> Is this correct?  I'm not going to make some quasi GNOME KDE hybrid,

Correct.  Though since I do have _everything_ from a default Ubuntu GNOME
setup installed (since this Dell came with Ubuntu from Dell's factories),
I do occasionally get a GNOME systray icon appearing on my panel.
No big problem for me, though.

> right?  Also, will this install the most current KDE 4.2?

Ubuntu and Kubuntu don't have KDE 4.2 by default, and never will.
The next release of Ubuntu (9.04) will, apparently.
To install 4.2 on Kubuntu 8.10, just follow the instructions over at
Kubuntu.org's website.

Note that I went through a lot of undue stress.  Things were acting
very broken.  (Desktop was solid black; no panel, krunner not responding
to Alt+F2 keystroke.)

I thought maybe it was plasma.  Wiped its config files, no go.
I thought maybe it was old session info (the 'save session' I did to
get all of the apps I want to come back up when I log back in, e.g. Kopete).
Renamed that folder.  Still no go.
I thought maybe it was a compositing issue (well, people on IRC thought).
I tried switching Xorg.conf to use vesa instead of intel driver.
No go.  (Grey screen instead of black.)
I tried completely moving .kde out of the way and starting fresh.  Nope.

I undid all my changes and rebooted, and it's all looking great.  Sigh. :)
I dislike that I had to reboot (esp. since Kubuntu.org only said you
need to restart X), but... whatever. It works. :)