2009 Jan 27 01:39

Re: [vox] Good printer for Ubuntu ?

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Chris wrote:

> My Epson printer ink jet printer is not working.  So, I am considering
> buying a black and white laser printer.  I want to spend at most $400.00 and
> I am not too concerned about speed.  However, the price of cartridges is
> important to me.  Which printers work well with  ubuntu 8.04?

I've never had an issue with Brother laser printers under Linux. They're
cheaper than HP to boot. In that price range, you could get a duplexed,
networked B&W laser printer and still have PLENTY of money left over. You
can actually get a duplexed, networked color Brother laser printer for
less than $400 online.

As for the toner, my Brother HL-5150D is still on its original toner
cartridge 4-5 years and 6000+ pages later (I'm not a heavy print user).
It's actually been flashing the toner warning light for about a year now
(since it passed 5000 page count), but the print quality hasn't declined
yet, so I haven't replaced the toner. I did buy the new toner cartridge
just to have on hand when the old one fails. It was around $50 online for
the regular B&W cartridge. Color laser cartridges will of course cost
more.