2009 Jan 07 13:04

Re: [vox] Network Attached Storage device recommendation?

Re: [vox] Network Attached Storage device recommendation?

iscsi is "cool", but is, IMHO, often not worth the effort.  I've done extensive iSCSI using NetAPP and some NFS too, and performance wise you can't really tell a difference (and we're not offloading or doing jumbo frames either and we can still saturate gig links).  NFS is just tons easier to grok and manage.  iSCSI works, it's just more rigid... you have to preallocate everything, and if you loose connectivity iSCSI will fault the disk, while NFS can either block or recover depending on your choices.  Also, IMHO, anyone touting offloading is using windows and not a beefy OS like linux or ESX (or they've contrived loads).

I've looked these two about a year ago, openfiler (buggy and incomplete), and drbd (incomplete, but very promising and a neat HA option using commodity hardware).

That said, this little device just looks cool.  Low power, easy, portable, etc.  And yet nicely functional.  http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/nasu2.asp

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 12:51:38AM -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
> What about iscsi?

What about it...? :)  Got some products I can look at?

Download it today!  http://www.tuxpaint.org/