2009 Jan 02 16:21

[vox] Fwd: Re: cell-phone network data cards and linux?

Beth posted from a non-subscribed address...

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 08:40:25 -0800
From: "Beth Camero" <beth-lists@compu-diva.com>
Subject: Re: [vox] cell-phone network data cards and linux?

   Sprint sells a Novatel Ovation U727 USB card that sells for $79 with a
   contract, $279 w/out, works with standard Linux installations, has
   instructions for setup with KPPP on Ubuntu.  I tried to make it work on
   one of these little Acer Aspires with Linux Linpus Lite and Gnome PPP and
   haven't had any luck yet, but I'm pretty sure it's operator error.  The
   card works very nicely on the Windows version of the Aspire One, I'm just
   not familiar enough with the Linpus Lite OS.

   --Beth Camero

     <wjhns156@hardakers.net> said:

     WH> Anyone used cellphone network data cards with linux successfully?
      I'd
     WH> actually like to do it for a month "occasionally" (which really
     means
     WH> buying an expensive card because I don't want the 2-year contract).
      Are
     WH> there issues?  Does it generally work?  I've seen web-references to
     the
     WH> AT&T cards working under linux so I *think* it looks ok...

     FYI, I ended up tanking the idea for my out-of-network-coverage
     Christmas break.  I woould have gladly paid the monthly cost and bought
     the card, since I hope to do this on a regular basis.

     *but*, one of the problems is that the charge to activate a new card for
     AT&T is $30/a-time.  Thus, if I want to do it regularly it requires a
     frequent extra $30 to activate the number each time.  In the end I just
     used my cell phone a whole bunch to read mail, etc.

     I wanted to try bluetooth-teathering my treo, but bluetooth on F10 is
     seriously broken at the moment.  Sigh.

----- End forwarded message -----