Re: [vox] opinions of linux hosting sites?

Re: [vox] opinions of linux hosting sites?

WH> Anyone have opinions of the various linux-ish hosting sites out there?

Well, thank you all for the suggestions!  I'm exploring each and every
one.  To answer some of the questions surrounding my need and the
background on what I'm looking for:

1) I have a server already serving many things over a DSL line now.  It
   works great, but I need to scale a few things up so they're served
   faster (in particular, I need a decent sized image cache).  As long
   as I'm doing one site to scale it up, I'll likely move many of the
   others as well simple so they benefit from the faster site.

2) CPU restrictions are somewhat bothersome and unfortunately common
   (and understandable too) among the hosting sites I've found.  I've
   been looking at gallery2 for at least part of the image set I want to
   serve, but I understand it's not exactly efficient in it's CPU usage.

   Side note: many hosting services say unlimited storage, but then
   impose a limit on image galleries...  very odd.

3) I need to host my DNS elsewhere as I already do this and need direct
   control over everything.  This turns out to be somewhat of a problem
   as many of the hosting services also semi-indicate they'll randomly
   change your address and really want to host your DNS too for that
   reason so they can change the addresses in DNS for you.

   Some places offer unique IPs, but some (like dreamhost) say that even
   if you get a unique IP they won't promise you it'll be static.

Thanks for all the advice...  you've pointed out a few that I hadn't
considered yet, so I'll go look at them.  Sonic looks promising, though
a bit expensive compared to the rest.  If the service is better, that
doesn't bother me too much though.