Re: [vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 12/11/2008

Re: [vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 12/11/2008

The Facebook event listing is now up at:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=98685520537

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:00 PM, <bill@wards.net> wrote:
PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

  |Date:    |Thursday, December 11th, 2008                        |
  |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
  |Time:    |meeting 7:00 - 9:00 PM, social/networking until 10 PM|
  |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
  |         |Bayshore Technology Park                             |
  |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                    |
  |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                               |
  |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                            |
  |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
  |RSVP:    |Facebook: (coming soon)                              |
  |         |or mail rsvp@penlug.org                              |

 Xen: A View from the Trenches

  This talk is a light overview of virtualization technologies with a more
  in-depth look at Xen, given by and targeted towards the hands-on system
  administrator. Topics will include:

    * Virtualization and consolidation: Buzz aside, what are my choices for
      consolidation, and what are the trade offs between the different
      virtualization technologies, and consolidating without virtualization?
    * Virtualization and server management: What tools does virtualization
      enable that can make the sysadmin's job easier? What about
      virtualization can make the sysadmin's job harder? How many of these
      benefits can I get without shared storage? If I do have shared
      storage, what added benefits can virtualization give me?
    * Overview of the Xen hypervisor and device architecture: What does the
      sysadmin need to know, and how to get good I/O performance out of a
      virtualizedsystem?
    * Protecting and fairly allocating resources: How to give people what
      they are paying for? We will go over the sysadmin-level details of
      fairly allocating RAM, CPU time, network bandwidth, and disk
      bandwidth, in environments where users are not always cooperative, and
      where some virtual servers should be allocated more resources than
      others.

 Luke S. Crawford

  Luke Crawford has been working with Xen in a production environment since
  late '05, renting virtual private servers to people from all over the
  Internet at Prgmr.com.

  He has also spent significant time with larger corporations, helping to
  virtualized the corporate environment. Luke and Chris Takemura are nearing
  completion of "The Book of Xen" to be published by no-starch press in
  early 2009.

RSVP

 Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
 people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp@penlug.org if you
 are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

 For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
     http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
     http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
     http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

 Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
 to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
 phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
 (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

 See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
       members@penlug.org
       announce@penlug.org
       sf-lug@linuxmafia.com
       balug-talk@lists.balug.org
       svlug@lists.svlug.org
       svevents@yahoogroups.com
       vox@lists.lugod.org

 Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.