[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 12/11/2008

[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 12/11/2008

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

   |Date:    |Thursday, December 11th, 2008                        |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |Time:    |meeting 7:00 - 9:00 PM, social/networking until 10 PM|
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park                             |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                    |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                               |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                            |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |RSVP:    |Facebook: (coming soon)                              |
   |         |or mail rsvp@penlug.org                              |

  Xen: A View from the Trenches

   This talk is a light overview of virtualization technologies with a more
   in-depth look at Xen, given by and targeted towards the hands-on system
   administrator. Topics will include:

     * Virtualization and consolidation: Buzz aside, what are my choices for
       consolidation, and what are the trade offs between the different
       virtualization technologies, and consolidating without virtualization?
     * Virtualization and server management: What tools does virtualization
       enable that can make the sysadmin's job easier? What about
       virtualization can make the sysadmin's job harder? How many of these
       benefits can I get without shared storage? If I do have shared
       storage, what added benefits can virtualization give me?
     * Overview of the Xen hypervisor and device architecture: What does the
       sysadmin need to know, and how to get good I/O performance out of a
       virtualizedsystem?
     * Protecting and fairly allocating resources: How to give people what
       they are paying for? We will go over the sysadmin-level details of
       fairly allocating RAM, CPU time, network bandwidth, and disk
       bandwidth, in environments where users are not always cooperative, and
       where some virtual servers should be allocated more resources than
       others.

  Luke S. Crawford

   Luke Crawford has been working with Xen in a production environment since
   late '05, renting virtual private servers to people from all over the
   Internet at Prgmr.com.

   He has also spent significant time with larger corporations, helping to
   virtualized the corporate environment. Luke and Chris Takemura are nearing
   completion of "The Book of Xen" to be published by no-starch press in
   early 2009.

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp@penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members@penlug.org
	announce@penlug.org
	sf-lug@linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk@lists.balug.org
	svlug@lists.svlug.org
	svevents@yahoogroups.com
	vox@lists.lugod.org

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.