2008 Nov 05 17:17

[vox] [fwd] SF LUG + Open source mapping project [Oakland]

For OSM fans who want to bike around Oakland...

----- Forwarded message -----

Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:21:16 -0800
Subject: [sf-lug] [Fwd: SF LUG + Open source mapping project]

OpenStreetMap will be hosting an event in Oakland this
weekend:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Oakland

RSVP here: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/1320644

OpenStreetMap is an open source project to collaboratively
map the entire world. It can be considered a sort of
wikipedia for maps.  It is essentially a source of Free
GeoData. There are over 70,000 participants in
OpenStreetMap worldwide, and we are working to increase
participation here in the US.

Participants collect information to put on the map
(cycle / hiking trails, natural features, historic plaques,
museums, other points of interest). They then upload the
information to our online map. They can also correct data
they see that is incorrect, as well as utilize the data
in many unique ways. Currently the map is being used to
create bike maps, route maps, on GPS units and in many
other capacities.

Please visit our website at http://openstreetmap.org
to learn more.

The Bay Area community ambassador for OpenStreetmap would
like to discuss the possibility of attending/speaking at
one of your meetings.

Sarah Manley
Open Street Map Community Ambassador
Sarah@cloudmade.com