2008 Sep 07 23:42

Re: [vox] Lugod Website Proposal

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 08:35:19PM -0700, Joseph arruda wrote:
>
>> So basically you want to convert to something like Joomla or Drupal.
>>

> Honestly, I'd be more for _adding_ some wiki facilities or somesuch,
> rather than switching to a whole 'nother platform.

I was not advocating one way or the other, I just interpreted his
statement as such.
> We've got going on 10 years of categorized and archive content,
Which in a lot of places (corporate at least) is a time for a redesign
:P  Truth be told, LUGOD.org doesn't look that bad.
> and
> (I think) a nice looking site (despite it's shameful[*] lack of CSS).
> I'd rather the site not turn into another one of those LUG CMSes.

The aesthetics are something you can deal with if you have people who
can design worth a damn (which in LUG-and is usually nil).  To its
defense, if the content is good, then it would not likely turn into
another LUG CMS. Even SVLUG still looks like its in 1998.
> I'm also happy to provide web access (assuming Rod's ok with it) to
> more people than just myself.  In the past, while one of us
> (first Marianne Waage, then I) have always been 'webmaster,' there were other
> folks (Henry House, Pete Salzman, maybe others) who were able to go in and
> maintain pages about their various projects/responsibilities (LERT, treasury,
> etc.).
>
> Perhaps we can somehow turn a few pages, or parts of pages, into some kind
> of Wiki somehow...

If people had a bunch of projects you could just do a Redmine/SVN and
have a LUGODForge :P
> [*] These days.  I think back when CSS first came around, it required
>     JavaScript in the browser, or somesuch. Laaame.

Yes, because all the world needs is Emacs and a bar of soap.