2008 Sep 03 21:06

[vox] "Will Linux Work" contest - win OpenMicroServer devices

We received some info from "Plat'Home" (spoke at PenLUG recently),
creators of the "OpenMicroServer."  They are running a contest in which
people submit their ideas on what they'd use the device for, and the winner
will receive 5 free servers to play with.

See all the details below:

----- Forwarded message from Shelly Milam -----

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:19:32 -0700
From: Shelly Milam

   Hi Bill,
   This is great!  Glad you are interested in participating!
   Here are more details about the "Will Linux Work?" contest:

   We know that the little OpenMicroServer is tough - its compact, fanless,
   diskless design combined with the stability of Linux makes it great for
   users to configure once and then not have to worry about for years, but we
   want to try and stretch the limits and see just how tough the Linux server
   really is.  You can check out its specs
   here: http://www.plathome.com/products/microserver/index.html

   Until September 5th we will be collecting suggestions on the most
   interesting and challenging conditions to successfully run the
   OpenMicroServer.  We have received some pretty interesting ideas so far -
   people have suggested using the little powerful servers for home
   automation, solar power infrastructure, on-board ship monitoring and
   control and even gaming.  But we would really be interested to see what
   you could come up with.  If you think you have a better idea and would
   like to get your hands on one of these units, please submit an idea and
   your contact details to our blog: http://plathomeus.blogspot.com/

   The winners will be chosen after September 5th and then we will ship a
   free server off to the winners to test out their ideas.  They will be
   given one month to test it out and then report the results back to us.

   If you have any questions, please let me know!

   Look forward to seeing your ideas.

   Shelly

--- And the initial email from Shelly was: ---

Wanted to see if you would be interested in a contest that Plat'Home,
Japan's Linux pioneers and makers of the tiny OpenMicroServer, is conducting.

Plat'Home's OpenMicroServer is known to be tough - its compact size
doesn't take up too much space, it has fanless, durable hardward, and
contains the flexible, versatile open source operation system SSD/Linux
which makes it simple to develop appliances.  You can see more on the
specs here: http://www.plathome.com/products/microserver/index.html

We want to try and stretch the servers limits though and really see how
much Linux is capable of doing.  Until September 5th we will be conducting
an online contest to solicit ideas for the most interesting and
challenging conditions to successfully run the servers.  The winner will
receive 5 free servers from Plat'Home and get to test out their idea.

So far we have had people want to use the servers for home automation,
solar power infrastructure, on-board ship monitoring, gaming devices...but
wanted to see if you or any of your members had any other interesting
ideas?  If you think you would like to participate and would like to get
your hands on 5 of these free servers to play around with - please submit
your ideas to: http://www.plathomeus.blogspot.com/

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you,

Shelly