2008 Aug 25 12:34

Re: [vox] September Installfest Date?

I have some insight on the installfest albeit my knowledge in all of this is very limited.  Just an opinion, nothing more.

The installfest is a time/place to where ppl. can bring their machines and have them configd. w/ Linux distros but as Charles and others have pointed out since Linux has progressed and matured it has become ever so easy to install.  Problems arise with not knowing how to perform certain tasks or if there are hardware issues.

Instead of installfest have it as a workshop.  No pc needed.  Just intros and q&a w/ props.  People can explain what is happening with their pcs or other impertinent questions.  Then set up a time in which people can log onto a chat, at the comforts of their own home mind you,  and pinpoint problems on their pc.  Cyber one on one so to say.  Lugod members can designate a time to assists others.  Maybe incorporate a chat java or whathaveyou into a web page on Lugod.org.  This way it is just a few clicks on a web browser instead of the hassles of using something that is foreign to them i.e. IRC.

This cannot replace real human one-to-one.  There will be times that ppl. cannot solve their problems even if it appears to be the most simplest task imaginable.  Lert can handle these things.  You would be surprised how receptive people are with this aspect.

In conclusion I believe that this approach  saves the frustrations of having machines lugged from one place to another. Problems can arise when equipment is moved. Dropping expensive equipment, misrouting wires and cables just to name a few.  This idea can be reconfigd. and compiled oh so many ways.  This can be done very professional if handled as such w/ no elmers paste and construction paper that one would find at a preschool.

Lugod t shirts?  Business cards?  Flyers?  DOUGHNUTS?????

<ahem>Jimbo</ahem>

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: [vox] September Installfest Date?

Oops, I'm going to a wedding on 9/27 and will be out of town 9/3-22 so it looks like I'll have to miss the September Installfest.
-Steve

Steve Weiss wrote:
I can do 9/27, out of town on 9/6.

Maybe I could do the flyers/flyering. What's involved? Contact me offline.

Steve

Alex Mandel wrote:

I'm looking for some feedback about when people want to do the next
installfest. Right now I see Sept. 6 and Sept. 27 as candidates. Please
provide some feedback and opinion on the subject.
I've had several requests recently inquiring about the next IF, but
haven't been sure when to hold it.

We're also looking for someone to volunteer to lead a workshop during
the IF on any number of topics as being discussed on the email list in
another thread.

Last, if anyone is interested in helping to maintain the flyers/flyering
for each event it would be an easy way to help out. We have Inkscape
templates ready made.

Thanks,
Alex