2008 Aug 03 23:09

[no subject]

PRESENTED BY:
Adam L. Beberg, Stanford, University =

=A0 =

=A0TOPIC SUMMARY:
Technological and sociological issues on the scale of a 325k volunteer node =

system like Folding@home will be described. The upcoming infrastructure to =

use millions of nodes for integrated storage like Storage@home on Cosm will =

be discussed. We will learn about issues in the design and tools for handli=
ng =

kilo-core systems (SMP, Cell, GPU and beyond) without going insane while =

maintaining portability and developing future-proof libraries.

=A0 =A0ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Adam L. Beberg has been building distributed systems since 1990. He founded =

Mithral Communications & Design in 1995, which is the home of the Cosm =

distributed computing tools. In 1997 he was a founder and president of =

distributed.net until 1999, during which RC5 was cracked once and DES was =

cracked twice - the second time in 22 hours with the additional help of the =

EFF's Deep Crack. In 1999 he met Vijay Pande and collaborated on =

Folding@home, leading to the use of Cosm as the network library in =

Folding@home. He was also honored as one of MIT Technology Review's TR100 t=
op =

young innovators of 1999. He has worked and spoken extensively in the areas =

of distributed computing, storage, and computer security. With a B.S. in =

Computer Engineering from Illinois Institute of Technology, he has been at =

Stanford since 2004 working on a PhD in Vijay Pande's lab working on next =

generation distributed computing methodologies, after which he will find a =

nice day job in academia and start his epic quest for tenure. =

=A0NIFTY OF THE MONTH:
None this month.

=A0LOCATION:

=A0 =A0Symantec =A0(formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
=A0 =A0VCAFE Facility
=A0 =A0350 Ellis Street =A0(near E. Middlefield Road)
=A0 =A0Mountain View, CA 94043

=A0 =A0Directions on how to get there are listed at:
=A0 =A0http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

=A0 =A0We've tried our very best for these directions to be accurate.
=A0 =A0If you have any improvements to make, please let SVLUG's volunteers =
know!
=A0 =A0webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

=A0MEETING REFRESHMENTS:

None planned for this meeting.

=A0POST-MEETING GATHERING:

=A0 =A0If you just can't get enough, a smaller group usually goes to a local
=A0 =A0restaurant/diner after the meeting. =A0We'll announce the restaurant
=A0 =A0selection at the meeting.

=A0We look forward to seeing you there!

-- =

Mark Weisler   PGP: 0x68E462B6 =A0http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/

----- End forwarded message -----

-- =

-bill!
"Tux Paint" - free children's drawing software for Windows / Mac OS X / Lin=
ux!