January 6: Social gathering
2008 Jul 18 23:01

[vox] [fwd] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 07/24/2008 ["Alpaca" networkconfig tool - Redwood City]

----- Forwarded message from bill@wards.net -----

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:00:09 -0700
From: bill@wards.net
Subject: [sf-lug] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 07/24/2008
To: sf-lug@linuxmafia.com

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

   |Date:    |Thursday, July 24th, 2008                            |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |Time:    |meeting 7:00 - 9:00 PM, social/networking until 10 PM|
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park                             |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                    |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                               |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                            |

  Robert Scott, Alpaca

   Although Linux has all of the necessary tools to do networking, including
   gateway devices, it is missing a comprehensive configuration utility to
   stitch it all together. At the end of the day, networking in Linux is
   hard, and we thought it was time for a change. We wanted something that
   was powerful, easy to use and looked good. We wanted to make open source
   networking sexy. Thus, we embarked on a journey to unite both classical
   and romantic beauty by marrying some of the most powerful tools in Linux
   Networking with some of the most celebrated web technologies. What emerged
   was the *Untangle Net Alpaca* -- a new open source networking utility that
   presents a consistent, reliable platform for setting up a wide range of
   networking tasks, including PPPoE Management, NAT, Redirect, Packet
   Filtering, Bridging, DNS, DHCP (dnsmasq), and more.

   At this talk, we will go through the design and function of Untangle Net
   Alpaca and demonstrate how you can use it to easily provide network
   services at the gateway.

   Robert Scott is a keyboard operator at Untangle. He is a passionate member
   of the Free and Open Source Software community with over 10 years of Linux
   experience and dedicates some of his time to developing an Open Source Car
   Stereo at cadvium.net. He enjoys working in a wide range of languages and
   development environments. He graduated with a degree in Computer Science
   from Harvard University in 2002.

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp@penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members@penlug.org
	announce@penlug.org
	sf-lug@linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk@lists.balug.org
	baylisa@baylisa.org
	svlug@lists.svlug.org
	svevents@yahoogroups.com

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.

----- End forwarded message -----