2008 Jul 07 20:12

Re: [vox] Help with Wireless for laptop

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 04:16:42AM +0000, Rusty wrote:
> Anyone able to help me with setting up my wireless on my
> laptop. I have not done anything with Linux for a while, but
> finally am able to set it up on my laptop.
> it is an HP Pavilion dv5040us I am getting a bit frustrated
> with it though. Using Ubuntu Linux.

I just installed Ubuntu last week and wireless didn't work
out-of-the box because it required using a proprietary driver,
which only needed me to check off a box to simply enable it.  The
checkbox is located here:

  System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

... and check the "Enabled" checkbox next to the proprietary
driver.

And, obviously, configure your network:

  System -> Administration -> Network

This is the first time I've used Ubuntu natively (not under a VM)
and I must say this is truly impressive!  I've been getting tired
of all the issues that creep up after each [Debian] upgrade and
all the tweaking I had to do to make things work just the way I
want them after each install or upgrade.  Ubuntu seems to have
all the necessities configured sensibly, all the basics
configurable from a GUI, and designed to simply just "work".
This distribution feels really comfortable.

-Mark