2008 Jun 28 13:37

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG General Meeting, July 2nd;Javier Cardona on Mesh Networking Services

----- Forwarded message from Mark Weisler -----

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:27:21 -0700
From: Mark Weisler
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG General Meeting, July 2nd;
	Javier Cardona on Mesh Networking Services

Join the Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) this coming Wednesday to
learn about mesh networking services.

 WHEN:
   Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008
   7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:
open80211s: mesh networking services at the MAC layer.

PRESENTED BY:
Javier Cardona, CEO of cosybit

 TOPIC SUMMARY:

IEEE Task Group S is currently defining a new 802.11 amendment to provide mesh
networking services at the MAC layer. open80211s is an open-source
implementation of this emerging standard, supported in the mainline kernel
since 2.6.26. This talk will provide an overview of the mesh networking
protocol, implementation details, capabilities, limitations, and future
improvements. The second half of the presentation will include a hands on
tutorial on how to use the mesh on common laptops. Note: Attendees are
requested to please bring their Linux laptops with wireless chipsets
compatible with the Zydas zd1211rw or Broadcom b43 drivers, to participate in
a demo of open80211s mesh networking.

Please see the svlug.org Web site for links that may be helpful if you plan to
bring your laptop to the meeting for the tutorial. (Go to the main svlug.org
site, click on General Meeting, and you will find helpful links 1,2, and 3.)

   ABOUT THE PRESENTER:

 Javier Cardona is the CEO of cozybit, Inc., an engineering consulting firm in
the field of wireless communications. Javier co-founded the company in 2004
to create a place where Linux engineers could fully develop their technical
abilities and have a life too. Thanks to cozybit, a large number of
electronic devices, from children's laptops to digital pens, can talk to each
other. Prior to that, Javier developed embedded software for over ten years,
in France, US, UK, and Switzerland, for a wide range of applications, from
industrial safety to wireless networking. Javier holds a Telecommunications
Engineer degree from UPC, and a Master of Engineering from Alari,
Switzerland.

 NIFTY OF THE MONTH:
Not this month.

 LOCATION:

   Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
   VCAFE Facility
   350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
   Mountain View, CA 94043

   http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

   webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

 MEETING REFRESHMENTS:
   None planned.

 POST-MEETING GATHERING:

   restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
   selection at the meeting.

   We look forward to seeing you there!
--
Mark Weisler