2008 Jun 09 17:57

Re: [vox] June meeting - topic and venue needed

Re: [vox] June meeting - topic and venue needed

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:11:07 -0700
> From: Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> Subject: Re: [vox] June meeting - topic and venue needed
>
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 10:27:18AM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
>> If you like, I can speak on coding with OpenSSL. But it sounds like you
>> don't have a venue either?
>>

> Having a speaker is the first step in getting off our butts and finding
> a venue. ;D
>
> Shall I put you down for 6/16?
>
> -bill!

> Put me down! I should know something by then about SSL.
>
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 01:11:07PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 10:27:18AM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
>>> If you like, I can speak on coding with OpenSSL. But it sounds like you
>>> don't have a venue either?
>>>
>> Having a speaker is the first step in getting off our butts and finding
>> a venue. ;D
>>
>> Shall I put you down for 6/16?
>>
>> -bill!

I can probably pull some strings and get a room on campus, I'll be able
to check on Monday and report back. Won't be as nice as the last one but
  a room none the less.

My suggestion for the meeting though is a different format and topic.
I think it would be cool to do a round table about laptop shopping for
linux. Have several people talk about what hoops they jumped through to
find what they needed, what they got and what they think of their purchase.

Anyone whose got a laptop recently or was on the thread a few weeks ago
would be good to tell their story.
I would love to hear about:
Dell Linux
ZaReason (Asus)
Rcubed (Asus)
System76
Thinkpads
Eeepc
OLPC

I personally am in the market for a laptop and it's seems to have come
up in conversation with a lot of people in various circles recently so
might be a good slightly less formal topic.

Alex