2008 May 25 12:45

Re: [vox] Laptop recommendation

I'm currently running Linux (Kubuntu) native on a Macbook.

It runs fine - the only thing I can think of as a problem is right-clicking using the built in trackpad, but that can be mitigated.

Wireless has been working via ndiswrapper, but Google indicates madwifi-ng also works.

Admittedly, macs are a bit pricier, but might be worth the extra cost if you're interested in developing for OSX.

Alternatively, I think the T-pad T20s work great with linux ;)

Work won't let me experiment with a newer Thinkpad in my posession, but I think they generally have decent linux support.
-----Original Message-----
From: "Jeffrey J. Nonken" <jjn.lugod@nonken.net>

Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 09:51:42
Subject: Re: [vox] Laptop recommendation

Consider a Mac. Compare prices vs. features before you decide. And you can get a refurb.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY&mco=MTE3NjY&nclm=CertifiedMac

I've never tried running Linux native, but I've run Linux and BSD (and Windows) under Parallels.

Ohhh, except I did boot Knoppix 5.0 several times while trying to fsck repair some *nix drives last time we lost power.

You'll get WiFi, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394 (Firewire), gigabit ethernet, built-in webcam, microphone, IR remote, dual-core Intel processor, oh go look at the bloody website and see for yourself. :)