2008 May 19 15:17

[vox] BALUG Dinner: WiFi Mesh Networking (Tuesday)

[vox] BALUG Dinner: WiFi Mesh Networking (Tuesday)

Title: BALUG Dinner: WiFi Mesh Networking (Tuesday)

Howdy Folks:

Balug on Tuesday will host a new speaker, Thomas Belote.

Tom will be talking about wireless mesh networking.  As a grad student at San Jose State, Thomas has worked on Wireless Mesh Networking and Mobile Ad Hoc Networking. His talk will compare solutions like OLSR and Microsoft's semi open source Mesh Connectivity Layer (that doesn't run on Linux). He will discuss why WDS is not sufficient and a mesh protocol is needed, and discuss the lack of openness thus far in 802.11s even though it is included in the OLPC, as well as security issues and implications.

If you'd like to come, please RSVP:

  RSVP@balug.org

Meeting Details...

  6:30pm
  April 20th, 2008 (Tuesday)

  Four Seas Restaurant
  731 Grant Ave.
  San Francisco, CA 94108
  Easy $5 Parking:  http://www.portsmouthsquaregarage.com/

Cost = $13 for dinner, but the meeting itself is free

Upcoming 2008 speakers include:

  June - Andrew Morton (Linux Kernel)
  July - Mike Linksyaver (Creative Commons)
  Aug  - TBD
  Sept - Ian Murdock (Debian & Sun)

Signup for BALUG's extremely low volume announce list:

About BALUG:
BALUG is lively gathering of Linux users & free software enthusiasts that combines great food, community & intimate access to featured speakers.  We meet in the bar of the Four Seas Restaurant from 6:30pm.  At 7pm, we share a family-style Chinese dinner, which is followed by our guest speaker.

BALUG Mailing list Policy:
BALUG promises not to abuse other LUGs mailing lists.  Our current policy is to make one monthly announcement on other Bay Area LUGs mailing lists.  If you feel this is not appropriate for a particular list, please tell us which list and what you feel would be a more appropriate policy for that list.  Please send feedback to balug-contact@balug.org.

--
Andrew Fife
Untangle - The Open Source Network Gateway

650.425.3327 desk
415.806.6028 cell