January 6: Social gathering
2008 May 12 11:28

Re: [vox] Need to use a computer running Linux for 1-2 hours

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 09:02:57PM -0700, Cylar Z wrote:
> What are the other students in her class doing? Why
> doesn't the instructor have a machine set up for them
> to take turns on? Seems like he could have dug up an
> old Pentium II and thrown on a copy of Fedora or
> whatnot...
>
> And what does the use of Linux root commands (like
> groupadd) have to do with getting an N+ - isn't that
> OS independent? It seems like - at most - the
> instructor might say, "Configure TCP/IP on a variety
> of operating systems, including Linux." The whole
> request seems a little strange.

These are all great questions. Unfortunately, they have nothing to do
with the request. It's like going on a tirade about foreign oil dependance
when a friend asks to borrow your car for the day.

I'd recommend saving media, and going with QEMU[1] or Virtualbox[2]
(both of which run on windows) and installing a throw-away distribution[3]
or getting a free disk image from the Free OS Zoo[4].

-Gabe

[1] http://qemu.org/
[2] http://virtualbox.org/
[3] http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download