2008 May 01 22:46

Re: [vox] Linux + certification

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 12:42:08PM -0700, Cylar Z wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently studying for my Linux+ certification. I
> am not currently working. I have a few questions about
> it:
>
> 1. Do any of you have this already? If so, do you have
> any specific tips on obtaining it, other than simply
> reading the study books?
>
> 2. Can anyone weigh in whether or not this will
> improve my marketability? Will employers care, even if
> the job involves some use of UNIX or Linux?
>
> 3. Assuming I pass the exam, is there anything else I
> can obtain and put on a resume (besides actual job
> experience) to show an employer that I "know my stuff"
> regarding UNIX and Linux?
>
> 4. Any additional thoughts?

I am not a big fan of certificates. Sac State is starving for computer
science students. We need more GNU/Linux hackers. Your degree will never
expire. Other than that, American River College has a number of nice
courses. I think they even have networking and Linux courses. Dr. Tak
will give you a run for your money. Professor Antos teaches a Unix/Linux
systems programming course. Dr. Tak tried to put together a robotics
club, but I think people were too busy.

Other than that, I would study up on a few topics and volunteer to do a
presentation. Lugod will post your presentation. At SacLUG, our website
is a less refined than Lugods, but I know that Gary has post your
writeup too. That will probably take you further.

Which jobs are asking for certification?

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/