2008 Apr 11 09:15

[vox] [fwd] Next week: FCC Hearing on the Future of the Internet[Stanford, 4/17]

Seen on SF-LUG's mailing list:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Next week: FCC Hearing on the Future of the Internet
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:50:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: Josh Stearns, SavetheInternet.com <list@freepress.net>
and advocacy

SavetheInternet.com banner

http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=uwjt7YYxLe7RHC6fQySo4Q..

Dear Bobbie,

The FCC is holding a public hearing at Stanford. Make your voice
heard:

Attend the Hearing
http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=2NfJGXlP_zwIF6jmvrs19A..

Next week, the Bay Area will host a landmark event on the future of
the Internet -- and you're invited.

All five FCC commissioners are coming to Stanford University on
Thursday, April 17, to hear from the public about recent efforts by
powerful phone and cable companies to block and censor the Internet.

WHAT: A Public Hearing on the Future of the Internet
WHEN: Thursday, April 17, 2008
TIME: 12:00 - 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: Stanford University, Dinkelspiel Auditorium

For the latest information, visit: www.savetheinternet.com/=stanford
http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=HAJKMSd6Bex-_g9o3hoFkw..

It's time we all took a stand for Internet freedom. Local groups have
organized a series of community meetings where you can meet other
people who are speaking out for a free and open Internet, learn more
about the issue, and even prepare your own testimony for the FCC:

Sunday, April 13, 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
The Media Center
900 San Antonio Road, Palo Alto

Monday, April 14, 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
KPFA-FM 94.1
1929 Martin Luther King Way, Berkeley

Tuesday, April 15, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Bay Area Video Coalition
2727 Mariposa Street, 2nd Floor, San Francisco

Wednesday, April 16, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
One East Palo Alto Office
1798 Bay Road, East Palo Alto

For directions, maps, and more information, visit:
www.savetheinternet.com/=stanford_workshops.

http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=rGuxcvSsnJP_94VAQ-3WAw..

With so much at stake, it's encouraging that the FCC is seeking public
feedback. But at the agency's last hearing near Boston, cable giant
Comcast paid people off the street to fill the seats. As a result,
more than 100 local citizens were turned away at the door.

We need to show Comcast and other would-be gatekeepers that the public
will not be blocked or silenced. Come to Stanford and be heard!

Josh Stearns
Campaign Coordinator
Free Press
www.freepress.net
http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=Y_iab6s0TMS2ut4UbU5IyQ..

www.savetheinternet.com
http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=35bzLu_n5ekJyBkEXy_knw..

P.S. Join our Facebook community to spread the word about the Stanford
hearing.
http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=biuByiOin-VXoZnkAs5amg..

View more information about this event at:
http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=0JHXDDFaetdRV0wUKgLjDA..

Tell your friends about this campaign at:
http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=9m-xXL37M0QiyisPCeOzuQ..

----- End forwarded message -----

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/