2007 Apr 19 11:24

Re: Ubuntu 7.04 Released! [[vox] CD burns needed for WEF and GTCevents]

Re: Ubuntu 7.04 Released! [[vox] CD burns needed for WEF and GTCevents]

Richard Mancusi wrote:
Does anyone know if Herd-5 plus all updates exactly equals final.
I understand that the package count will be different unless you clear out
"Installed (Local or Obsolete)". In my case that is 29 packages, mostly old
Linux Headers, etc. If there is any question, I would rather format the drive
and start from scratch. No sense in introducing potential problems later.
If you upgraded to a pre-release Feisty, regardless of when, and have kept it up-to-date until today, it should be the same as having upgraded today.

My personal experience is that upgrading from Edgy to Feisty was /much/ more seamless than upgrading from Dapper to Edgy; however, I performed the Dapper-to-Edgy upgrade much earlier in the development cycle, and used apt-get dist-upgrade rather than the update manager (which for desktop edition is strongly recommended over apt), so the comparison may be irrelevant.

Feisty seems to have been running pretty stable for the Beta users (including me). If you love stability, I wouldn't recommend activating the "desktop effects" (compiz), and I'm aware of some printing hangs (ghostscript loops) with workarounds (use alternate ghostscript!), but otherwise, it seems quite good.

I hadn't been planning on installing it at work (need a stable environment), but after running it at home without incident, I'm going ahead today! :)

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/