2007 Apr 16 22:16

Re: [vox] mythtv anyone?

Harold Lee wrote:
Wes Hardaker wrote:
Anyone in town set up a mythtv box yet? I have a Tivo series one that
I likely need to replace in the near future and I'm looking at doing a
myth solution instead... I think the software install doesn't look
too bad, assuming you have the right hardware. It's picking the
hardware that looks more tricky ;-)

Anyone done it? Do ya like it? Want a visitor in your livingroom for
a demo? (heh)

About 3 years ago I set up a MythTV box with dual-tuners. Pretty easy to set up, and nice to use. I got the really cheap tuner cards with no hardware encoding, which was kind of a pain. I think it was an Athlon 2500+ system with 512 MB of RAM. It could record and play at some low (but watchable) quality just fine. But my recommendation would be to go for at least one tuner with hardware encoding to save your CPU.

Sorry - I don't have it set up anymore, or I'd be happy to demo it. I'm sure MythTV has come a long way since then.

We left it running all the time, and scheduling works great. With dual tuners it knows how to split jobs between tuners correctly so that you can record 2 programs at once, or record one and watch live TV.
Thanks for that.

I'd be particularly interested to know what people have used for casing. Also, what IR equipment/remotes people have had experience with.

BTW, what was the second tuner for: picture-in-picture? Or is there another use?

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/